Thursday, November 15, 2012

Marble Magnet Craft

It's almost Christmas and that means you may need a quick, easy, and affordable gift to make for some co-workers, neighbors, teacher gifts, or even students in your class! I have been working on a party favor idea for my next upcoming event, "Where the Wild Things Are." It's a1st  birthday but there will be lots of older children there so I wanted a favor that they could use either at home or at school!



I decided to make marble magnets with images from the book, Where the Wild Things Are.  Y'all, seriously...they a reso easy! It only took me an hour to make about 60! I'm giving each child a set of four at the party.

You will need: (All Supplies were purchased at Michael's Craft Store)

* Mod Podge (gloss- orange bottle)
* E-6000 Adhesive Glue
* Flat Marbles (clear)- these can be found in the floral department at Michael's.
* round craft magnets. Mine came in a pack of 50 at Michael's.
* Scissors
* images- mine were a 1.5"x 1.5" square, but it doesn't really matter about the size, as long as the image you want in the marble fits! I found them on the internet for this project!





How To:

1. Lay a clear flat marble on top of the image you want as the magnet so you can figure out where to glue it later on.



2. With a paint brush, put Mod Podge onto the flat side of the marble. It will be white, but it dries clear. Promise.



3. Immediately place the marble onto your image and press. There should be excess paper on the sides. You take care of that next. Allow the Mod Podge to dry about 15-20 minutes until you do the next step.



4. With scissors, trim off the access paper from the image until no edges are showing. Now you have an image that fits perfectly under the marble.



5. Put a dot of E-6000 glue on one side of the magnet.



6. Press the magnet onto the back of the marble.

7. Let them dry and there you go! Unique little magents!



I had so much fun making these. After I was done with the ones for the party, I had a few marbles left over and was going through magazines to try to find little images to make a few for myself with! Instead of a Christmas "card" this year, I'm going to make a little set of magnets for our close friends and family with our family pictures in them! That way everyone has them year round! Here's my proto-type, really hard to get good pictures of these with the shiny glare! :o)




No comments:

Post a Comment