Thursday, April 19, 2012

Diet Coke Addiction...Hubby to the Rescue

I'll admit it. I have an addiction. A bad one...... I am addicted to Diet Coke.

Me on vacation two weeks ago...sippin' on the good stuff...


I'm not attracted to it for the "Diet" part of it. And to be honest, I've never really needed to be on a diet in my entire life. I just love the bubbles. Love the taste. It all started when I was living with three other girls in a two bedroom apartment the summer before my senior year in college.

All the natural factors were there.

Peer pressure.
Low on moolah.

I was, until that summer, a regular Coca-Cola drinker. However I was too poor and lazy to continue to buy myself Cokes all summer long. So I secretly snatched a Diet Coke out of their fridge stash whenever I desperately needed the taste of caffeinated bubbles... (Sorry Anne and Jen...)

At first it was a horrible, wretched taste. Like drinking a beer for the first time. But as that hot summer drug on, I just grinned and took it...like a BOSS....thinking of how much money I could save. (And also thinking in the back of my mind about all the calories I guess I could save too). I thought it was pretty cool it had absolutely NO calories!

Eventually I aquired a taste and was obsessed with the fact that I could drink essentially twelve a day and consume NO calories. Yup. Addicted. Done.

Today though, 4 years later, my husband has helped me put a stop to it once and for all. After approaching him about how disgusting I felt after I had consumed seven before dinnertime had rolled around, I begged him to help me get control over it.

I had gotten control on my own the summer before our wedding and gave it up for almost a year after being scared away from it after reading Skinny Bitch. I'm not one of those people though that can just limit myself to "one a day." Nope. Just like I can't limit myself to not eating a whole bag of Cheese Puffs in 24 hours. (A blog on that another time).

So my sweet husband did this for me tonight while he was cleaning up the kitchen.



He understands that it's easy for me to grab a can of Diet Coke rather than fix myself a glass of water...especially with a nine month old crawling around everywhere. He also did the honors of hiding my cases of diet coke and only putting one in the fridge for that day. So there's my one...for tomorrow. Included in my deluxe package of one Diet Coke are five water bottles of water. I guess I'm supposed to drink more water, right? When oh when do I get to have that Diet Coke though!? I'm excited just thinking about it!

I'll report back about how I'm coming along. Let's just pray I stay out of the gas station fountain drink stations and the drive through lanes....

Pray for me peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment