Sunday, August 12, 2012

XMAS in August Craft Night


 Some of my friends and I got a little jingle bell bug back in June. So we finally had our summer Christmas craft and movie night on Friday! We all ended up picking a craft project that we couldn't quite finish by bedtime. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed each other's company and basking in the holly-jollyness of Christmas movies and wearing festive attire. The Thompson household Elf on the Shelf, "Neely Remington," even made an appearance out of the attic for the special occasion! He welcomed the girls with their own personal toothbrushes. (This is kind of an inside joke with my Aunt Marla who always has labeled toothbrushes at her house for any kids spending the night).


I decided to make this tree skirt to match the stocking and lighted garland I made last year at Christmastime. Isn't is gorgeous!?

It's a "no-sew" tree skirt and super easy to make. I'm using burlap and a garnet-ish colored red cotton fabric. The traditional "Christmas-red" for some reason just isn't my style. Now if only this skirt wasn't so time consuming to make. But- it does lend itself for an excellent nap time activity to keep me busy! Here's how it's coming along so far. I'm almost half-way done. I started from the bottom up and I'm using our old dingy red felt tree skirt to adhere the fabric to. It's working really well so far and pretty pleased with it. :o)


And on a side note...I seriously love my hubbs for making me this craft table. I've already gotten so much use out of it! (And it keeps my current projects away from Bennett) One of my best pals has the same one that her hubbs built for her too! (Okay okay...we DID had the same one "pinned" on Pinterest...hehe.)

Kira is making these gorgeous tissue paper Christmas trees! They're also pretty simple to make, but like the tree skirt, pretty darn time consuming! She is doing a silver and red color scheme (instead of the gold) for her first one and it's turning out really well so far!


Chelsea is making a really cute Advent calendar using an old deck of playing cards! She recovered one side of them using precious recycled Christmas cardstock. She's going to string them, hang them, and make pockets on the back so she can change around the different activities as Nolan grows up each year! I'm sure he'll love this year after year! So cute! Can't wait to see the finished project.


Aren't you just itchin' for all things Christmas?! We are SOOOO excited!! Have any of you started early with your Christmas crafts? I know if I wait too close to Christmas I never get anything accomplished...especially now with a little one! This Christmas in August thing may have to become a tradition for me. :o)

Merry Christmas Y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment